Monday 11 May 2009

My Project Diary

Week 1

Wrote a brief for the window display for men store. I work for Hugo Boss UK I was able to get an interview the VM for Hugo Boss UK at head office to let me know the processes of how the company go through to create there window display for the current season collection.

Week 2

I was able to get hold of the studio manger at Topman Mrs Emma Murphy and asked her if she can help me in my research of the can help with process of how their window displays for their stores. Mrs Murphy told me to send her a email and she will forward to the department that deals with that section, to make sure I get all the help that I needed for my reach.

Week 3

I had to wait for Mrs Taylor creative Assistant for the company to get back to me, finally she emailed me back to confirm she had received my email, and she was willing to help me in anyway she can. Within that time I was looking at the at window display of all my favourite shops.

Week 4
It took me about two weeks to one get hold of Mrs Taylor over the phone because she was one on business for about 10 days and she got back to me, I explained what information I needed from her, and I even send in the brief I created and she was able to email me back and give me all the information that I needed and more.

Week 5
The information that I was provide by Mrs Taylor, I had to start thinking about the location of the store and what does the store have that makes it stand out, for where the store is locate will reflect what the target audience will be. I also started making thinking and sketching down what the name of the store will be and what impression it will have amongst it competitors. I was also developing the value of the store brand (what it stands for). Also from the research I gained, I had to think of how does the brand of the store will communicate to the target audience with the window display and layout of the store, will it have a boutique feel or it will be another high street store.

Week 6
I went to Knights Bridge and Slone Square to view the window display of the store that was there and the demographic they appeal to. I took photographs of Harrods, Giorgio Armani, Gucci, Hugo Boss, Prada, Dolce and Gabbana and Billionaire. They was a similarities to the stores that are locate in Knight Bridge, they were very grand, and classy and at times simple but still maintaining that high-fashion atmosphere. Out all the stores in Knights Bridge one store stands out to me in a way I could imagine, that was The Giorgio Armani store, the design of the store was breath taking, the walls was something out of ancient Rome feel to it, but the standard of folding and presentation was immaculate which make the store grand and I noticed a big difference between Giorgio and Emporio Armani in the sense of style of clothing and price. It seem that Giorgio Armani was for a more mature audience while Emporio was for a more youthful audience.

Week7

 I began to make my inquiries about how much the logo would cost to be made. I was very surprised how much it would cost, based on me still going with the ‘oh Boye’ logo idea. The signs companies were giving me quotations up to £900 just for the logo. So asked how can I bring down the costs, I was told by the various companies the size, number of letters and materials that it made from, also lighting effects and installation cost. By now I started to get frustrated with creating a name for the store, this was due to me over thinking the store name, for the over thinking was starting to going in the way of I was creating a clothing line. I had to remind myself that I creating a men’s store not a fashion house. This allowed my thinking to be free and stay with the name JO that are my initials.

Week 8
Two of my friends agreed to be my model for my project and for me to take pictures of them at Hyde Park, central London. I had to play stylist to let them know what kind of look that I was going for. I use the lake as a backdrop for a lot of the shots. I even manage to get a kind gentleman to use his Harley Davidson as a prop for some of the shots and I was able to go to the Austin Martins show room in Park Lane, to use in the pictures also. I was able take some pictures of the Hugo Boss store in White City, to show the high standard of presentation that a luxury mans store presents.

No comments: